Thursday, January 27, 2011

Extremely Tidy, Yet Wildly Impractical

Last year I found two 1950s German household guides (one specifically devoted to childcare, one to decor and house management) at Goodwill. So I rescued them and put them next to all the other retro things I find and take home like a squirrel getting ready for the winter. The other squirrels in our tree aren't sure about all this. This would be the place for a nut joke. Or being out of one's tree.

But here's a funny picture from the decor guide, called Das Praktische Haushalts Buch. Well worth the dollar I spent on the book, right? Right?

Even many years after my one year of college German I can figure that out. The Practical Household Book! Hey, I remembered something. Excellent. Only I don't think that this picture shows us anything very practical. For here we have a grim, heavily made up lady sitting on the floor. She has exhausted herself by spending hours arranging all of her little friends around her.

Bonus points for arranging the ladles in an attractive sunburst pattern, though. And the wooden hangers sort of look like seagulls, that's nice too, I guess. And look at all those dishes, trying to ignore the vacuum cleaner. I know how they feel. I am trying to ignore mine right this minute.

4 comments:

DrJulieAnn said...

Oh dear. And that's all I'm able to say about it...

Bill said...

I found a great way to avoid vacuuming at home...I took my VC to the office, and I keep forgetting to take it home.
It looks like this fine fraulein has a rug beater leaning up against the back wall, or maybe she has the other book you bought & uses it to beat the children.

Cari Hislop said...

I bet someone scrubbed and polished that floor on their hands and knees!

Speaking of vacuum cleaners and German housekeeping, the other year we bought a German Miele cannister (with Hepa filter). It's like owning a mini black hole. I highly recommend the brand. They cost a bit more, but they suck faster. Faster suck = more time to sit and stare at the cobwebs. I really should do something about them. If I was a good hausfrau I would...

Art of RetroCollage said...

Great pic of the former kitchen of the future!