Sunday, January 30, 2011

Orange You Glad

Nesbitt's Orange Soda Life Aug 16 1954
Life, August 16, 1954
Be a fun family...Keep a supply of Nesbitt's on hand.

And all this time you thought that everyone in the family was unhappy because you took them fishing in the middle of the night and made them sit on a rock out in the middle of nowhere and finally finally finally after four hours you caught a teeny fish. And you held it up and made them admire it for what seemed to them like, oh, at least another hour or so. And there was this strange orange thing in the water that looked like a smiling house. What sort of fish is that, anyway? What kind of lake has little orange houses lounging around in it? What are we doing here anyway, Dad? I thought you said we were going somewhere fun.

Well, kids, next time, things will be much, much better. Because Mom will remember to buy Nesbitt's Orange Soda in the "distinctive carton." Yes, Madge. Well, maybe I did tell you to get grape soda. Don't you know that when I say grape, I really mean orange?

Grape soda - why, you can't even see it in the dark. The kids spilled it all over their white shorts and Madge got all cranky about that. And also about having to stand on that rock half bent over trying to smile and pose like some kind of model. We all heard about that all the way home in the car. Like catching that teeny fish wasn't worth it.

Never mind. Next time, the orange magic of Nesbitt's of California (o great land of oranges and Hollywood glamor!) will make the next midnight trip to Line Drawing Lake a perfect Happy Family outing. Take a look at how thrilled everyone is in the picture on the left. And they'll stay that way - until someone notices what happens when you leave a cardboard carton sitting in the water.

7 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Plus it GLOWS IN THE DARK - chock full of natural ingredients of course.....

Karen said...

Orange soda is my favorite. My dad used to take me fishing and when we stopped to get bait, he would let me pick out a candy bar, a PayDay and a soda, orange crush.

I was wondering if you would look at a table runner I made and tell me if you consider it retro in style. I am having trouble describing it. Thanks.

http://www.chatbugkaren.com/2011/01/28/mental-health-day/

vanilla said...

I liked Nesbitt's. Soggy cartons no problem; I could never afford the thirty cents for six bottles at a time.

Relax Max said...

I think I remember Nesbitt's. Didn't taste like it had any real oranges in it though.

::clears throat:: I really liked this post. It had lots of facts and was very interesting.

:)

Barbara said...

It must be sad to live in their black and white world, with the only excitement being a Nesbitt orange, in color...

Richard, Twister of Spanners said...

I'm going to have nightmares about orange smiling houses now.

I'll never sleep again.

Marcheline said...

Really bad graphics, but I do love orange soda. Just every once in while. Like, when I go midnight fishing.