Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Weary Trousseau

1941 ad, big version here
Seventy years ago you could find this bridal bargain in all the finest stores: a toaster, a coffee maker and an iron all in a lovely box and called, collectively, a Wheary Trousseau. I would actually love to own this fabulous vintage stuff, all of it, but it was the name Wheary Trousseau that particularly appealed to me. Yes, you will be weary after making toast and coffee for the groom; and cleaning up afterwards; and washing that fancy tablecloth you got as a wedding gift; and then doing all the ironing.

If you go over to the big version (link under the image) you can see the details a bit better. One detail I love is that the Weary Trousseau case has a handle - so you can tote this stuff around. Are you supposed to take it on your honeymoon? Is that going to be a fun "Honeymoon Special," making toast and ironing stuff in the hotel? Oh, General Electric, thank you - that sounds so romantic!

11 comments:

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I WOULD like that coffee pot, though. Blue bottle sells those glass percolators for $45 and swears they make the best coffee there is.

I always wondered what a bridal trousseau was. I thought it had something to do with complicated underwear.

vanilla said...

Ah, for the 40s again. If only.

Barbara said...

So, is she supposed to never permanently unpack the items? Make some coffee, repack. Toast? Repack. I don't get it.

Pat O'Donnell Kuhn said...

the bride's trousseau was the clothing for her honeymoon and the case these appliances are in is a suitcase. It looks like the suitcases my parents had.

DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman said...

*he...he...he* I guess I was inspired by this ad and didn't even know it because, yeah, I iron my husband's shirts when we stay at hotels (and am grateful that most places now provide an iron...no more using my travel iron on a towel on the floor or bed...).

DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman said...

And then there was the vacation where I had to wait until he was in the shower to iron our clothes so that he wouldn't know that I had brought along a full-sized iron. I feigned ignorance when he complained that my bag seemed heavier than usual...

Eric said...

That case looks suspiciously like a band instrument case. Maybe some people play the 'Wheary Trombone'??

DearHelenHartman said...

Have trousseau will travel! I like how it also suggests its an anniversary gift any wife would love. This gift finally explains that phrase I've heard about a bride performing her wifely duties. Ironing!

Lidian said...

Shieldmaiden96 - I would also like that coffee pot! And yes, I thought trousseau meant clothes, mostly underwear.

vanilla - I agree. Or even the 60s!

Barbara - It will keep her busy, you see.

Pat - OK, clothes for honeymoon, that makes sense. Thank you. My parents had suitcases like this too!

DrJulieAnn - That is so nice of you! I never do that, even at home (am terrible at ironing, that is my excuse)...

Eric - They certainly do, I think.

DearHelen - I liked that assumption too, and the thrilled expression on the model's face too. Yay, ironing!

And yay, look, I answered comments! Hey, that was fun :)

Marcheline said...

That's right up there with a guy giving his wife a vacuum cleaner for their anniversary.

Would like to have that kit now, though! For retro-liciousness. Not for my honeymoon. 8-)

Grandma's Goulash said...

I remember my mother using a toaster like the one pictured. I also remember her frustraton when she got busy with other kitchen tasks and the toast got burnt. So I'd prefer the popup type, although I've certainly had a few malfunctions with those too.