Friday, June 24, 2011

Mary Ann Is Staying Put

Duke University Libraries
Mary Ann was a picture fan
But she worked hard all day
Washing dishes, still she had wishes
To star in a photo play

One day Mary fell asleep it seems
Mary had some very pretty dreams
She dreamed a fairy came to her that day
And she thought she heard it say

Come out of the kitchen Mary darlin'
Come out of the kitchen Mary Ann
Why waste your time cooking Irish stew
When Mary Pickford and Theda Bara will step aside for you

How would you like to be starred with Charlie Chaplin
Your picture painted on each garbage can?

I am not kidding. Those are just some of the lyrics of this novelty song, circa 1920. Mary Ann  probably replies: 

Douglas Fairbanks looks like a bunch of old hair hanks
And his little dog is rather creepy too
I don't know if it's worse to hang around with them
Or keep on cooking some old lousy stew.

I guess that Theda Bara with a faceful of mascara
Will have to keep on acting with élan,
For nothing's less enticing, not even cake without icing
Than seeing my picture on some garbage can.

Thank you Duke University for this little bit of kitchen-themed retro fun! I'm writing this in a hurry so...I'll be back soon with more this weekend :)

4 comments:

footnoteMaven said...

The things you find! You never cease to amaze and delight me.

-fM

Lidian said...

fM - Ditto, ditto! :)

Relax Max said...

I didn't know they painted their pictures on garbage cans.

Cari Hislop said...

Why would they use a picture of a man who looks like he earns his living 'doing people in' choking a dog...for a song called, "Come Out of the Kitchen Mary Ann"? I don't know about you, but I'm hearing the psycho-shower music! If I was Mary Ann, not only would I NOT be coming out of the kitchen, I'd be calling the police!