Thursday, June 30, 2011

We the Poster People

Well, hello there, Poster People.

And hello also to the Edie-Sedgwick-meets-Sally-Struthers creature (and what a meeting that would be, would it not?) who is sitting demurely in front of her Poster.

Now YOU can be BLOWN UP, cry the Poster People. You too can get a makeover from a raccoon who also makes strange black hair bows as a sideline, and put on a dress made out of two old dresses you were about to give away anyhow. Now perch on a random barstool and hold a snapshot. Try not to look too excited!

Yes, we will blow you up...or anyone you want...into as GIANT black and white POSTER 1 1/2 ft by 2 ft. 

Poster People, you may want to rethink the tagline you are so fond of. People do NOT want to be blown up. Not me, not anyone I know. It is the 1970s (in this ad, anyway, it is) and, you know - give peace a chance, etc. etc. 

Great to give! Great to get! Great for decorating walls! Yeah, what an amazing idea. Putting a poster on the wall. Although really, if someone gave me this poster, I'd probably use it for something else. Maybe wrapping up some leftovers for the raccoon.

Another dose of kitsch (twice in one week!) - brought to you thanks to the fabulous  LiveJournal Vintage Ads.

9 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

She looks more than a little startled in that poster pic!

Lidian said...

Yes, she does. Stunned, kind of. That must be some poster!

vanilla said...

"Edie-Sedgwick-meets-Sally-Struthers creature..."

Thanks for the laugh, Lidian. People really did do that stuff, ouat.

Dieter Moitzi said...

This. Is. Hilarious! She looks either drugged to her titties (where DO they sell such good stuff, pray tell?) or like some avant-garde-user of heavy doses of Botox applied in all the wrong places… Who would want a larger-than-life-poster of HER, I ask myself… thanks for making me laugh once again, dear Lidian!

sassafrasjunction said...

You know who would have been all over this -- Baby Jane Hudson! The pic even kinda looks like some horrifying version of her!

I can totally see Bette Davis plastering up these posters in yet another attempt to make poor Blanche INSANE.

Dr. Julie-Ann @ The Modern Retro Woman said...

Ummmm....I was the model for this ad...

No, just kidding! I remember when those ads came out and thinking how creepy they were. Although I didn't think it was creepy to have a big poster of Donny Osmond. Now it would be. Because I'm married. And I don't want to marry Donny Osmond anymore.

I'll stop now.

Marcheline said...

aaaAAAAHhhhaaAHAHhahahAHAHAHaaaarrrrrgggghhh!

Shay said...

I've never been blown up but I've been shot at. A vastly over-rated experience.

Cari Hislop said...

Perfect! I laughed till I cried.

That poster of the girl with her mouth open...it makes her look like a blow up doll. That gives a new meaning to being blown up! I love that special touch where they suggest you can decorate with the giant picture of yourself. I wonder how many narcissists ordered larger than life posters of themselves. I suspect the company had to start selling larger than life posters of kittens and puppies.