Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Just Open A Can

Life, July 8, 1940 [big version here]
Early in the morning, as I stagger back down from the kitchen to my basement office, slurping coffee, I sometimes say to myself: Just open a can of Diet Coke and breakfast is different. Because, you know, it is really hot out these days and I am too lazy to make iced coffee that early, etc. etc. Or something like that.  And maybe I just groan a little, too, if the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

But even in a crabby, decaffeinated state of mind,  I adore this 1940 ad which shows a family from Not This Planet, snappy dialogue swirling out of their smiling mouths, fresh from the Hollywood Movie Set wardrobe and makeup facility that they clearly have in their garage.

And why do they look so petrifyingly pleased?

Juice, my friends. Libby's juice. And so here is Libby's Family of Juiceheads, ready for the day. This is the point where we all might make a few jokes like: I'll bet I know what's in THAT juice!

The only juice that really seems different - not exciting, mind you, just different -  is the loganberry juice, so that ought to be the one that's messing with their heads. But they're getting all het up (as my grandmother used to say, only not about juice of course) about the tomato juice. Maybe Mother made them all Bloody Marys. Just open a can and Breakfast Is Different!

That little girl is the only one not saying something unctuous. She is thinking: I'm not touching the Libby's juice. No way.

Go ahead and click to see the big version which gives you a frighteningly good view of this disturbing scene!

7 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

I think Mum's breakfast might be different - there's plenty of places to hide gin in the kitchen where the hubby and children never venture.....

vanilla said...

Oh, yes. Surely looks like my family at breakfast when the kids were growing up. Hot Ta mah toe!

Squirrel Leigh said...

Does... that say "flavory" juices?

FreshHell said...

Loganberry? Where, outside of an IKEA, can you find such a flavor?

Marcheline said...

I love the way they try to go Irish at the last second, down in the lower right hand corner... "REFRESHING... any time o'day!"

Because nothing says "REFRESHING" like talking with a fake Irish accent! You can tell the kids the leprechauns left the juice on the breakfast table, o'course!

Mimi said...

Ew, I think the mother and father are the SAME PERSON! Look at their faces. Identical. Just a little lipstick and a hairdo on the mom. It's creepy.

Cari Hislop said...

The father's comment is rather disturbing. "Don't forget, you've promised lots more Libby kinds!" Who would say that? The father is obviously possessed by a dead Libby company director. The dead man is having difficulty controlling the father's tongue.