Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Psychedelic Pie Dress

Graphic Design - TJS Labs
Here's an enticing offer. Buy up lots of Johnston's Pies and you can get a Great Paper Dress for a dollar and a quarter. Because when you are shopping for pie, that is just when you are thinking: I wonder where I could get a really unusual maxi dress that looks like it is made of that kicky new shelf liner I got to match my new pink and orange kitchen? Say, maybe I'll get an idea while I'm buying this mince pie.

Perhaps the design is based on psychedelic mince pie. That must be it. And since it is a "newsy gown," maybe they made it out of leftover newspaper. It is, after all, "just off the press."

Paper dresses were a 1960s fad, as was paper clothing in general. They even made paper bikinis that you could wear, in theory, two or three times. I can't imagine who would do this, though. They should have made a dress out of the wallpaper in my grandmother's 1960s powder room: black, pink and silver with fake Parisian scenes featuring poodles. Or maybe that was "too wild to print."

You might like to wear the Andy-Warhol-inspired Souper Dress to enter a party and then change into the Pie Dress around dessert time, that might be fun. Or not. Because, as Wikipedia notes, these clothes were uncomfortable, the dye came off on you, and worst of all - well, they were flammable. So get someone else to heat up the 25 Johnston's Pies you are now stuck with.

6 comments:

Stephanie Barr said...

I'll pass on the paper clothing. I sweat.

Plus, eww.

Mary said...

Hallmark made paper dresses too. I thought it was a great idea because the length could be altered with a scissors-- no hemming. I bought one. It was way too uncomfortable to wear.

AA said...

"It was way too uncomfortable to wear."

Probably because you'd have to be twig thin and seven feet tall to get in that thing.

vanilla said...

Hotcha!

Marcheline said...

Definitely an outfit NOT to be worn at a barbecue, a candlelight dinner, or anywhere a flame might exist...

Cari Hislop said...

I'd have been one of those gullible shoppers who bought the pie (even though I don't like mince pie) just so I could have the dress for a dollar and a quarter! I'd have tried the dress on and then realized I was way too curvy to wear paper. After five minutes of being depressed I'd have cut it up and made drawer liners or party hats out of it. I love the sixties orange and pink. I've been watching early Mary Tyler Moore shows on youtube which has been making me feel nostalgic for my old funky wardrobe I couldn't fit into if I still had it. I need to be careful or I might rush down to London and try to find some ugly clothes from 1971 which will of course all cost a thousand times their original price.