Monday, August 8, 2011

Vacation Zombie Hair

Duke University Digital Collections
Trust me, Vacation Hair is the least of this guy's problems. For one thing, he appears to have escaped from a department store window. Wearing a striped bathing suit from 1919. And really unsubtle eyebrow pencil and eyeliner. Also there is a scared badger clinging to his head.

But if the badger uses a little Kreml shampoo, things will be much better. And neither of them will have the dreadful problem that is Vacation Hair.

Actually, you know what Vacation Hair problem I have? It doesn't involve stripes, badgers, department store mannequins or Kreml. But when I'm traveling, my carefully chosen shampoos and conditioners just don't work very well. They don't like unfamiliar water, I think. And then I run out and buy new stuff and try that, but it's sort of hit or miss. No one else notices (I think) but I do! And I promise I'm not using what this ad calls (and I love this wording): "sticky, dust-catching, gigolo concentrations that plaster your hair down tight to your scalp."

This ad is from 1936; many thanks to the fabulous Duke University Ad Access collection, which is full of good things, although no ads (alas!) for Gigolo Concentrations. I'm going to look for one, though.

4 comments:

Tori Lennox said...

I was startled to find out this was a guy. I thought it was an underendowed woman. LOL!

Dee said...

I had to look at the larger ad. That guy is scary! He looks like a corpse, or a wax dummy.

Mimi said...

My hair really does look like that on vacation. Can I still get Kreml? Do they carry it at Walgreen's?

Kath Lockett said...

...unless it's Michael Jackson who, like Elvis, is still alive and living on a beach somewhere?