Monday, October 31, 2011

A Bad Craft With Unhealthy Fruit

Tomheroes.com
This could be your head!

Oh no, it couldn't. Because I do not want any part of Vincent Price's dried-apple crafts. Not even on (especially not on!) Halloween. The ad says that if we all make little dried apple heads - and wear them as necklaces and things (what a thought) - it will be "like having Halloween all year round!" Yes, wearing an old piece of fruit on a string around my neck in August will really make it seem like the end of October. I'll have to try that sometime, Vincent.

Not right now, though.

This ad is probably from the mid-1970s. I know this because I did some research (i.e. I Googled a little). I found a bit from Ms. Magazine, a delightful understated bit of snark, about this product:

"...dried apple sculpture is a respected folk art, but Vincent Price on the cover of Whiting's grotesque Shrunken Head Apple Sculpture distorts a good craft, and a healthy fruit."

I love that prissy phrasing: a good craft and a healthy fruit. As opposed to all those unhealthy fruits you see in the store. And - a good craft? Maybe so, but I can't quite picture Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan sitting around making little granny dolls from apples, can you? A woman needs a shrunken apple head like a fish needs a bicycle!

Here's a photo of the actual, horrible kit over at Boing Boing.

Anyway:  Happy Halloween, Samhain and All Hallows' Eve. And Happy Reformation Day - today was the day in 1517 that Martin Luther tacked up his list of  95 theses (known as the 95 Theses, big surprise) on that church door in Wittenberg, Germany. And happy birthday to John Keats, born in 1795, who wrote sonnets about peaks in Darien, though he had never even been to Connecticut.* Also odes to nightingales. But never about apples, dried or fresh.

Oh, and to all my fellow NaNoWriMo-ers out there, happy last day before we all start staring at those blank screens and freaking out! I'll be around, here and on Virtual Dime Museum - just not every day. And if the posts are even shorter and more inane than usual (that goes for both blogs and double for The Doubletake if I even get over there) - you'll know why.

*I do know that he didn't mean Darien, Connecticut.

2 comments:

vanilla said...

My beautiful spouse actually made a couple "apple heads" a while back. But then, she is no Gloria Steinem-- or Betty Friedan, for that matter, tGfsf.

(Vincent had nothing to do with her "crafting.")

Kath Lockett said...

I *remember* those. Australia's state called Tasmania was known as 'the Apple Isle' and those little old withered apple ladies were for sale everywhere!