Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Mystery On Both Sides of the Hudson

This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Untitled Jersey City Project for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.

UNT_091311_Title_bmb_v01.ai (1 page)Do you like mysteries that are both urban and urbane? Do you, as a reader/viewer, enjoy the sense of being a partial architect of your experience of an art form? If you do, you’ll probably enjoy what I want to share with you today.

Untitled Jersey City Project is a experimental entertainment. There are eight short-form episodes, that are fragments of an overall story which is open-ended; that is to say, story lines and mysteries are left unresolved. Jersey City is directly across from Manhattan, on the Hudson River. They are separated not only by water but by a multitude of differences. Manhattan is filled with shiny new buildings and glamor. Jersey City is grittier, unreconstructed.

On the Jersey side of the Hudson riverfront, modern shining developments are going up. And though the man made constructs are new, the men and women who are building them play games that are as old as the buildings they are replacing.

Episode 1 shows an architect, Frank, waking up to a missed call from his colleague Ray, who is at the building site. Frank, in Manhattan, speeds through the tunnel and over to Jersey City - only to find....well, go and have a look at the clip (it's below, after the post). And tell me what you think in the comments - I’d love to know your thoughts. Here are mine: I liked the visuals a lot. As a native New Yorker - whose great grandmother grew up, in part, in Jersey City in the 1870s -  I recognized some of them (the tunnel in particular). But I did find it mystifying: I had no clue why things were happening. And why was everyone so closed-off and stunned-looking? I’m still thinking about this. I need to know more.

I noticed that there are plenty of other clips from the project at YouTube. I’m going to check them out and if you like urban crime dramas, like I do, you should, too.

Visit Sponsor's Site

1 comment:

BrSpiritus said...

My Mother's side of the family comes from Bayonne, right next door to Jersey City. I'll have to check this out.

The Vintage Recipe Blog