Saturday, October 29, 2011

Stop A Trick on Halloween

Life, October 26, 1959
This will indeed stop a trick - right in his or her tracks, as it were (you can make up a few jokes right about here*). Is it better, worse or about equal to getting a box of raisins or some pencils in your plastic pumpkin/laundry bag/gigantic Gor-Tex enhanced Mountain Equipment mountaineering pack?

I was not even particularly happy to see these mini boxes of cereal at breakfast. You thought: oh yeah, tiny cereal boxes, there they are. Big whoop. And never once did I cut them open and pour milk in them like you were supposed to be able to do (I think). That would be messy and boring. Two strikes. One to go. I guess this is strike three: seeing them on Halloween. At least they should be in disguise. In costume. Dress those little cereal boxes up in Brach's chocolate wrappers or something, people!

*I'm a little low on creative energy today as I have just spent the morning writing up a synopsis for my NaNoWriMo novel - you can click on the link on the right if you want to check it out)

8 comments:

Grace said...

The problem with these is that there was always a "flavor" that everyone hated. Alpha-Bits was after my time but yes, we did cut open the back and pour the milk right in - saved washing a dish - I was the family dishwasher so I was all for that!

Joyce Lansky said...

I saw the picture and immediately thought, yeah, right. Cereal will get your house TPed for sure!

Joyce
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Lidian said...

Grace - Actually I do tend to like anything that saves washing dishes, so there's that as a plus...I used to like things like Cap'n Crunch when I was little, and something called Krispy Kritters, circa 1964 or so (I was 2, so I don't really remember this). I can't imagine this now - my favorite cereal is steel cut oats!

Joyce - It sure will!

BrSpiritus said...

I was born early '74 after the fad of all the sugary breakfast cereals had started. I remember seeing, Captain Crunch, Trix, and Lucky Charms... just rarely in my house. Mom was a nurse and didn't like the super sugary stuff. I can relate to the oats nowadays though I do buy a box of frosted flakes from time to time.

Grace said...

My favorites were Rice Krispies and Post Raisin Bran - weird for a little kid. We also liked Shredded Wheat - and that was before they started frosting them and making them mini- I don't remember too many sugared cereals - Frosted Flakes maybe??? I was pretty much done with cereal by the time I was 10 or so - and that would have been 1956...

Rose said...

Good luck with NaNoWriMo this year!!

jennysararyan said...

Hi! I enjoy your blog very much, and, to that end, I have awarded you a "7x7" blog award. It seems to be a sort of chain-letter type way for bloggers to give "shout outs" to blogs they enjoy. You can carry on with the award-giving, or just bask in the knowledge that I really like yours.
You can see what I'm talking about over on youweregoingtobefantastic.blogspot.com.

Free Hosting said...

Hi dude, This is a wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing it.