Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bacardi Rum Is Not A Food

Bacardi Rum is not a food.

Well no, not unless you serve it in a fruitcake. And even then, it depends on the fruitcake.

But it's a good thing you mentioned that, 1954 Bacardi ad. Because when I saw that delectable cottage cheese next to a limeade-grenadine-rum cocktail I couldn't decide which of them would make a nice retro diet meal.

Actually, when I see cottage cheese with chives I think of the restaurant on Long Island we used to go to when I was a kid. It was in an inn and was very mid 20th century Classic American. So among the things you got on the table instead of a bread basket were a dish of cottage cheese with chives and some melba toast to put it on.

I do not think that I would care to dip any melba toast in my Perfect Low Calorie Bacardi Cocktail, though.

I didn't do a calorie count on this one, but it probably does have fewer calories than the cottage cheese, assuming that the latter is full fat. I like the raspberry-pink color of the cocktail, though. Very nice. I ought to do a post about pink cocktails. For the holiday season, maybe next month. And I'd better make a note of that or else I will forget.

By the way, I am working on a new blog! When I get a couple more posts up, and finalize the name, I will take it live and stick it on Entrecard (I know, I know, I have problems with it too, but still...) and link to it. It's sort of a blog for armchair chefs and travelers - world cuisine, culinary history, odd facts about food, herbs, spices, folk medicine, folklore and food through history. So I might write about Napoleon's favorite cake (I just made that up, I have no idea if he had one) followed by a post about tisanes followed by a post about weird flavors of Pocky. A grab-bag, like my other blogs - but different stuff. I hope you will enjoy reading it as much as I'm enjoying setting it up...

6 comments:

BrSpiritus said...

How do you find time? I can barely keep up with one blog right now and you're going to have four? I'll be writing again as soon as my wife arrives in the states (today) but I just had too much to do around the house the past week to be able to focus.

Mimi said...

Oh boy! Pink cocktails and cottage cheese! This is right up my alley. Good luck with the new blog. I'll be following. Sounds fab!

DearHelenHartman said...

I submit that Bicardi Rum is just as much a food as that low, low calorie cottage cheese with little black bits in it. In fact, I know plenty of people who could make a banquet out of rum, not to mention the limeade and grenadine. Those are like, packed with vitamins and food like by products, right?

Kath Lockett said...

My mind is whirling around with scary ideas of what cottage cheese and the icky pink Bacardi mixture would look like when they reunite in the stomach.....

DrJulieAnn @ Modern Retro Woman said...

I'm still stuck at the idea that Bacardi rum isn't a food.

Dang....

Mike said...

The odd pink cocktail looks tasty enough. The cottage cheese looks tasty enough. However, the idea of the two of them pictured side-by-side in a photograph is a little nauseating. Couldn't the ad people find a more party-pretty food offering, with a similar calorie count? Maybe some of those cheese chunks with the festive toothpicks in them surrounded by a few crackers? A party assortment of mixed nuts? A couple of cookies?