Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Toothsome Jingle Contest

It's been such a long time since we had an advertising jingle contest, so here's one for Dr. Lyon's Tooth Powder, from 1939. I don't know who Mary Noble was or why she was so excited about Dr. Lyon's Tooth Powder, but she was. Oh wait, it says she was the titular character in a radio show called Backstage Wife (Dr. Lyons was one of the sponsors). Perfect choice: someone who is (a) on the radio and (b) backstage. So we have no idea what shape her teeth are in.

By the way, I love how it says, in parentheses, at the end of the incomplete verse, "rhyme with bright." That's because they do not think we are, very:

For beautiful teeth to shine bright
Use Dr. Lyon's morning and night
Your smile will be prouder
Because of this POWDER....

...But if it's still lame, that's all right.
...Even though it won't cure overbite.
...Although you still dress like a fright.
...We're begging you please to just try it.

You can try it, too, if you like. Although unlike Mary I don't have any nice cash prizes for you or anything. On the other hand, I won't insult your intelligence by saying, as the shop guy is in the bottom cartoon, "And all you do is just write a line to rhyme with 'BRIGHT.'" Yes, thank you. We get it!

5 comments:

Dimestore Lipstick said...

Mary Noble first came on my radar when I listened to Bob&Ray routines as a kid--they hilariously lampooned her in their "Mary Backstayge, Noble Wife" bit. My grandpa had to explain it to me!

BrSpiritus said...

I wrote about Listerine Tooth powder not long ago... "Now Soapless". Makes me wonder if this was one the evil tooth powders that contained soap.

DrJulieAnn @ Modern Retro Woman said...

And your teeth will be quite a sight!

I'm wondering if husbands forgot to put the cap on tooth powders, too. (or is that TMI about the Modern Retro Household...)

AA said...

1. ...But if you're a vampire, don't bite.

2. ...Protected by copyright.

3. ...Made of pure dynamite.

4. ...I can't get this rhyming thing right.

Mike said...

...and the state won't declare you a blight

Well, I tried. I guess I'll have to settle for a can of Dr. Lyon's tooth powder. No doubt, the last can rolled off the assembly line before WWII, but won't the tin the powder comes make a lovely tchotchke?