Monday, January 30, 2012

A Picnic With Eleanor Roosevelt

So it isn't really picnic-ad weather. Oh, I know it. But sandwiches know no season, as they say (no, they don't really). And it's Monday and, well, this is what I've got on the menu for you today. And if it's Miss America's favorite then it's good enough for all of us, right?

Actually her favorite is peanut butter and either jelly or - ugh, Miss America! - peanut butter and mayonnaise on white bread. As for Lou Boudreau, the baseball guy, you can just give him some old hamburger, he doesn't mind. Yeah, that's more like it. And Fibber McGee, the fictional radio star (real name Jim Jordan) - he likes ham but you have to frizzle it by cooking it up in a pan with butter and generally fussing over it. His wife Molly might not mind frizzling sandwich meats in pans but it's not something picnickers generally do. You know, because they don't generally pack frying pans in their baskets. Or little flags to stick in the bread.

But dear old Eleanor will be happy with a simple "hot dog" - as long as it has quotation marks around it, that is. Yes, it's those mysterious, subtext-making quotation marks again. I know I've written about them in ads. But I can't bear thinking about going through the 1000-plus posts here (yep, over 1000!) and finding some for you. Just take my word for it. And while I go puzzle out what Eleanor means by a "hot dog" I'm going to go have more coffee. I take mine without quotations marks, please.

*She and FDR served  hot dogs to the King and Queen of England, when they visited Hyde Park, apparently. FDR's mother was "horrified," apparently. Sounds like fun.

The big version of this 1949 ad is right over here, by the way.

7 comments:

BrSpiritus said...

I have run into the Peanut Butter and Mayo routine before and after pausing to gad vowed never to think on it again... thanks for helping break that vow lol. I see it's not just any old hamburger though, it's one with butter and minced onion. Yes because our beef doesn't have enough fat, lets serve it with butter. And really eleanor? Plain hot dogs with mustard? I really need an ad to tell me how to serve these "hot dogs"? Good stuff as usual!

Mike said...

I've read someplace that when FDR and Eleanor went to the UK that the palace there was on strict rations, there was only so much warm water, and lights had to be kept to a minimum. I think that part of the King and Queen's contribution of the war effort was to suffer right along with their subjects. So, a hot dog with mustard might just have been what hit the spot! Well, during the war years, anyway, though hopefully they let the King and Queen eat more standard fare by the time 1949 rolled around.

Tori Lennox said...

I read an etiquette book once by Eleanor Roosevelt. I can't remember if she said anything about the proper way of serving "hot dogs" though.

Kath Lockett said...

Hotdogs and 'six way nourishment' - the mind is still boggling.....

Marcheline said...

From the look on that woman's face, a nice long "hot dog" is EXACTLY what she needs! *wink*

Dimestore Lipstick said...

As a lover of early 20th century novels, I have noticed that anything even remotely classifiable as slang gets treated to the quotation marks. I believe that is what is happening here--since they aren't referring to it as by a formal term like wienerwurst sandwich on a roll, they are tagging tagging the term "Hot Dog" as slang.

fitted kitchens said...

That's nasty Marcheline. But yeah, I would have to agree with you.