Friday, February 3, 2012

A Visit to Lake Louise

Beautiful Prince's Island Park and downtown Calgary
Back in the early 1990s I lived in Calgary, and it was an amazing experience for someone who had grown up on the East Coast and had never been much west of Philadelphia. We drove out through Indiana and North Dakota and a bunch of other places, and it took about a week to get there. And then we had to get used to the air being a bit thinner since Calgary is at a higher altitude than we were used to. We ended up renting in the Northwest of the city, near beautiful Prince's Island Park. I miss being able to walk downtown from our apartment via the island which is linked to downtown and the Northwest through pedestrian bridges.

Lake Louise and the Château
I miss being able to drive out to Banff every weekend - it's only about an hour's drive away from Calgary, and beautiful Lake Louise is a bit farther than that, but totally easy to get to. I was especially thrilled to finally see Lake Louise because my grandparents had stayed at the Château Lake Louise back in the 1930s on a holiday. Isn't it beautiful? It was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway beginning in the late 19th century, and different wings have been added and changed since then. My grandfather worked for the Northern Pacific Railway so I imagine that their visit was somehow connected with that.

You can walk a good distance around the lake on a lovely pathway lined with trees. You can't really see it in this picture, but there is a huge glacier in the mountains facing the hotel. And now I am really missing Calgary and Lake Louise.

2 comments:

Susan DeAngelis said...

Aww, you're so sweet. The pictures are so beautiful. I wanted to transform myself into your blog.
Sue

Relax Max said...

Calgary sounds truly amazing. One of these days I'll just stampede myself right over there and maybe even take a (presumably) cold dip in Lake Louise. :)