Monday, March 5, 2012

An Indoor-Outdoor Kitchen

This is quite the place, isn't it? An architect called Lester Tichy designed it in 1956 as an "indoor patio" - and not just a patio, since it includes a kitchen, too. I suppose there is some sort of glass roof but I'm not sure. Tichy wanted everyone to experience "summer fun and freedom" all year round. Of course, it helped if you could have your house backing onto a lovely beach like these people do.

I really, really like this patio/kitchen, though I think I'd want a bit more of a shaded roof over it - something  semi-translucent, maybe, to let light in without letting the place get so sun-baked. And get a load of that terrific island in the middle, with all sorts of little attachments (even when I make the image bigger I can't totally see what they are, but I like 'em!). And another thing I like a lot is that warm, terra-cotta-colored ceramic tile floor.

Very fancy 17th c blue and white porcelain, not mine!
We had ceramic tiles in our kitchen too - though it definitely was not an outdoor-patio type of place, not a bit like this. They were nice and cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and looked great for years. We decided to go with a laminate flooring when we redid the kitchen, but I did linger for a long time at the wholesale ceramic tile in the store. Someday when we redecorate, I'd love to go for a smoky blue ceramic tiled floor. There are lots of design trends  around, but my favorite ones involve blue and white for kitchens. And then I will display my collection of blue and white china - including my grandmother's tea set from her childhood (circa 1895), the flow blue Staffordshire vegetable dish from my grandmother's cousin Edna, and - don't laugh! - the fabulous 1970s Colonial-themed blue and white dinnerware my mom got at the grocery store in the 1970s. Seriously, it is my favorite china ever and it was really well made. So I am definitely going to choose some perfectly blue, matching ceramic floor tiles to set it off just right. Oh, and I'd also like it to open onto a beach - the blue sky and water, and white clouds, will set everything off very nicely, don't you think?

4 comments:

vanilla said...

Your blue-and-white themed kitchen sounds delightful. We could spend a few minutes admiring it, then run out on your beach!

Dieter Moitzi said...

Uhm, yeah, I join vanilla – don't you dare and forget to invite me too! I promise I'll behave, and I'll even bring my swimming trunks so as not to embarrass you by running to the beach stark naked…

unikorna said...

You have a very impressing google pagerank , I'd appreciate if you shared some of your secrets :).

A Mom said...

the porcelain was so nice! love it!