Monday, April 2, 2012

Always Something New

Everyday the folks and I try and think of something new to do with Musselman's Apple Sauce.

Why, some days we use it to paint pictures.

And other times, well sir, we use it as glue in our craft projects. That didn't work out all that well, though. Made em just a little bit soggy, in fact.

So yesterday Ma said, why not use Musselman's in things where folks want to make things soggy. Like dinner. We tend to eat soggy things round about dinner time. Canned beans. Hamburger. And sauce. Lots of sauce. That's pretty much the definition of soggy.

And that very night I had the dream. The dream about a dish I'd never even seen or heard of before. I don't know where it came from. But there it was: a dream about something called Golden Meat Loaf.

It lay on a bed of red-pepper-speckled green beans and shone in the strong studio lights of the advertising kitchen in my mind. The kitchen where folks are always just that minute putting perfectly cut pieces of pink and white seven-layer cakes onto gleaming plates. Where everyone sits round the table grinning like idiots at some quivering jelly mold crammed with whatever Ma happened to find in the fridge that day. Where you can pour dessert right on top of a meatloaf and call it Golden.

So that's what we ended up doing with the Musselman's the next day. And tomorrow, Ma said we're going to put it on top of the jelly mold and make that Golden. She says it'll be a big surprise, considering what she's planning to put inside.

We can't wait.

[This wonderful ad is from my Kitchen Retro board at Pinterest, and I wish I could tell you where it came from because I like to credit my sources - but it can be a little bit hard at Pinterest, as you probably know. Anyway, it would be great if you joined me over there. I try to match my ads with one-liners, so it's like a mini-blog.]

3 comments:

Kath said...

You know, I'm just getting over a really bad bout of the flu, and that apple sauce looks like something I've been coughing up of late.....

Lidian said...

Kath - Oh dear, my apologies for the reminder! Hope you are feeling better now...

Dieter Moitzi said...

When I look at this, I finally understand where all those vegetarians come from: they have been invited to Ma's Golden Meat Loaf Dinner Party. And decided that henceforth, they'd stick to green beans…