Monday, May 28, 2012

The Billion-Can Festival

This side of the two-page spread is more than enough, because the other side is just more excited capital letters plus pictures of travel folders. Also, Blogger is kind of tricky these days and I have a terrible time trying to get two-page ads to line up right. Especially on Mondays. So I'll just tell you that the full name of this event is the Billion Can Festival Sweepstakes and if you played your cards (or your cans) right back in 1959, you could have won a Billionaire's Vacation.

You could go on one of 10 fancy trips to "any country on earth" as long as Spam was sold there. And there were also 1000 Luxury Gift Hampers filled with Hormel's Famous Foods of the World. All in cans. Canned Beef Stroganoff, canned French Onion Soup, things like that. So if you closed your eyes you could pretend you were sitting in a Paris bistro and not at the crummy kitchen table.

And as long as you're in the kitchen, you might as well make some Spam "Around the World" Dinner Casserole which is the "exciting one-dish meal especially developed for the Billion-Can Festival."  It is called that because apparently that is how many cans of the stuff they'd made and sold by the end of 1959.

All you have to do is dump a package of cooked egg noodles in the bottom of a casserole dish. Then over that, dump a can of French-style green beans (this is the Around the World part of the dish). Oh, and a can of Spam cut into fancy strips. And over it all, pour a can of Cream of Mushroom soup* mixed with half a can of milk and 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle the whole mess with cracker crumbs and bake it at 350 for half an hour. If you must.

"Spam is just as famous around the world as the most famous of foreign foods." Really, it IS. Honestly. What exactly is the nature of its fame? You decide!

*The casserole in the photograph did not get drenched with soup, though. Because that would look horrible.

2 comments:

Marcheline said...

Egads. I know you're not going to believe this, but when I visited friends in Hawaii, our host made a breakfast with fried strips of Spam and scrambled eggs... and it was really good! I had my doubts, but I'm brave.

This recipe, however, does not seem to follow suit. My question is: What is the tightly curled yellow stuff under and around the egg noodles in that picture? Perhaps some questions are not meant to be answered...

CJ - Food Stories said...

I don't know how I accidentally tripped across your site but I love, love, love it ... I have subscribed to your blog feed & I'm nominating you for MY Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. I know some bloggers don't participate in blog awards but I hope you'll at least check it out because mine is unique in the fact that it is only is given to food sites and all the nominees are in the running for the monthly award and prize. If you're interested, you can check out the details at my site ... http://foodstoriesblog.com/food-stories-award/ ... Either way, love your site and I hope you're having a great foodie day!