Monday, August 13, 2012

Wastin' Away Again In Wheatenaville

Alone at last, the newlyweds pledge their love anew - undying, ever-faithful, etc., etc.

So the first thing on her mind is what cereal to plonk down on the table at breakfast. Well, that's a little strange. And his response? If he doesn't like it, he'll go straight home to Mother.

Oh, this is going to be a fun trip, is it not?

Now as the ad points out (and don't you love that it says "Advertisement" at the top, just in case you thought it was a feature story?) - you can't live on love alone. And that's where Wheatena comes into it! It's the Hot Brown Wheat Cereal everyone can agree on, and all that.

Now while I have never cooed over it, I will tell you that it is pretty good. I had it when I was a kid and according to my mother, it was the culinary specialty of her father. He didn't tend to get anywhere near the stove, except on winter mornings. And that was when he liked to get up and cook up a pot of Wheatena. Why? I have no idea. I guess he just really, really liked Wheatena.

Incidentally, he wouldn't have dared to run home to his mother if he hadn't liked the cereal my grandmother selected - even if she hadn't bought Wheatena. He was a quiet sort who was just glad to stir up hot cereal, not trouble.

Here's the fun history part of this post: Wheatena was invented in New York City (yay!) around 1879 and it is made (you won't be fainting with surprise or anything) out of toasted ground wheat. When they moved the company to New Jersey in the early 1900s the plant was called, rather charmingly, Wheatenaville. What do you want to bet that this 1930s era couple is going there on their honeymoon?

Random pop culture stream-of-consciousness moment: Wheatenaville made me think of the 1977 Jimmy Buffett song:

Wastin' away again in Wheatenaville
Searching for my lost cereal bowl
Some people claim that toasted wheat is to blame
But I blame the iced cinnamon roll

[I'm not sure what that means either....I know, it's surrealistic. It's a meta-parody. Yeah, that's it. ]

No comments: