Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Healthy Cactus Drink

Did you know that this prickly-looking nopal cactus may look a little hard to handle, but actually helps you feel better? Well, it does!

You see, I am always on the lookout for natural ways to stay well - especially since, over the last few years, I've been dealing with arthritis, mostly during cold weather. I don't let that stop me from exercising though, because ever since I was a little kid trying to keep up with my mother (who was a very fast walker) I've liked taking long walks and going on hikes. Sometimes I mix a little running into my walks, too. And it's great, except when it's cold and my knees and ankles are feeling a little elderly!

One thing I've learned, though, is that in addition to exercising regularly, you can really help yourself a lot by fine-tuning what you eat and drink. And the nopal cactus is one of the many natural, traditional things you can eat or drink that is really good for your body. The nopal cactus - or rather the pads of that plant - is also called prickly pear, and is native to Mexico where it is used in all sorts of dishes; it can be cooked with eggs, meat or cheese, or even made into a sweet dessert. They have loads of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, too. In fact, back in the 19th century, Dr. Alvin Wood Chase (a Midwestern physician and author) gave his readers a special Whooping Cough Syrup recipe that consisted of prickly pears boiled with sugar and strained. He said that it was very good for colds, too.*

One of the easiest ways to get all the goodness of the nopal cactus without going to Mexico and ordering some (let us say) tacos de nopales is to drink it in juice form. One way you can easily do that is by trying some delicious nopalea - the natural, anti-inflammatory drink. You can get a trial bottle for free (you pay $9.95 for the shipping and handling) by clicking the link and using the 1-800 number there.

*Alvin Wood Chase, Dr. Chase's Third, Last and Complete Receipt Book and Household Physician (1890 ed.), p. 126.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much did they pay for you to post an ad disguised as a blog post?