Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Writing Studio in the Golden West

Beautiful San Luis Obispo (Wikipedia)
I've been doing some research into California history and geography since I recently learned that one of my great great grandfather's brothers was one of the original 49ers. He left New York around 1850, when he was 23 years old, and never went back - he ended up in Placer County, California, mining along the Yuba River. My great grandfather Charles was named for him, the brother who never came back East. Anyway, I've been learning a lot about other parts of California, too, since a few other 19th century New York relatives ended up in San Francisco, as it happens.

The first motel in the US, from 1925! (Wikipedia)
I wish that some of them had gone to San Luis Obispo, though - it is a lovely place, about halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It was established by Father Junipero Serra in 1772 when he began to built the Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa. And from then on it became a place that people wanted to be. Did you know that the very first motel in the United States was built in San Luis Obispo? It was called the Milestone Mo-Tel. It's been renamed the Motel Inn, but it is still there. I definitely want to stay there sometime, since I love retro motels. And since I also love mountains and hilly regions (and hiking there), San Luis Obispo is on my list of places to see. It is near the St. Lucia Mountains and a group of hills called the Nine Sisters.

A visit to this wonderful city might even make me want to check out some San Luis Obispo Real Estate, and looking at a few online real estate listings is making that look really attractive. I've found one that I love, which you can see on the left - it's a restored 1910 gem in downtown SLO, with a "secret garden" and even a detached studio that I am planning (I wish!) to do all my writing in.

Search all San Luis Obispo County Real Estate and you'll find a full MLS search, the layout is really easy to use, and there's lots of helpful information for you here. You can check out anything from single family homes to condos and apartments, or even investment properties or land. And just like my 49er Uncle Charles, you might just find a golden opportunity or two that makes you want to stay.

1 comment:

Johnny said...

I've spent a lot of time there and SLO county is everything you think and then some. To me its just damn near the most perfect place on earth.