Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Keesh and Tell

LJ Vintage Ads
So it's 1960 and Julia Child has not yet appeared upon the culinary scene, so no one is Mastering the Art of French Cooking yet. That book did not come out until the following year, alas, so Robin Hood Flour is going for the sophisticated cook in this ad. Sort of. I mean, best not call it Quiche Lorraine ("pronounced Keesh Lorrayne," says the copy helpfully) - it's less frightening to say it is a Savoury Bacon-Cheese Pie. And to make it look more like an American, Betty Crocker sort of main course, they have decorated the top with bits of the bacon - just like you'd put sliced olives on a lime gelatin mold, right?

Or something like that.

Quiche became more of a pop culture Thing in the 1970s, and I sort of remember that. Everywhere in New York it was quiche and salad, quiche and salad, and more quiche and more salad. And in 1982 Bruce Feirstein wrote a humorous book called Real Men Don't Eat Quiche - only, of course, they did. Even as late as the mid 1980s, when I attempted to make a Quiche Lorraine in my boyfriend's kitchen, on an oven whose temperature control had broken. It came out tasting fine, but it looked a little lopsided. P.S. I did not garnish it with curlicues of bacon.

Big version of this ad over at the link.

2 comments:

Grandma`s Goulash said...

I made my first quiche in the early seventies, but I may have preceded Julia with the french cuisine. In the late sixties, I spent the better part of a winter mastering a pastry wrapped roast beef that I found in a french cookbook. The trick was getting the beef and the pastry fully cooked at the same time. Timing and the size and shape of the roast were the key.

Marcheline said...

I adore quiche! Make it all the time. Nothing makes for a better quick-heat breakfast on mornings that you don't feel like cooking. I add diced ham, or bacon, onions, cheese, all sorts of stuff - to keep things interesting!