Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Tang of the Wilderness

Oh, I never knew that Tang* had staged their 1961 ad inside our old freezer. But here it is. Photographic proof.

To be fair, and for the sake of historical accuracy, my mother did defrost the freezer every few weeks with a weird sort of grill thing that you plugged into the nearest outlet and stuck in the freezer as close to magnetic north as you could get, and then about seven hours later you had three times the storage space in there.

But it never lasted.

So Tang is telling us to celebrate those vintage freezer compartments - revel in the icicles and stalactites and layers of permafrost. Because this is the perfect microclimate for brewing up some delicious Tang! Oh Tang, that I used to choke down in the mornings because, hello Vitamin C, plus also my mom liked Space Age (if not entirely palatable) things in cans and jars. If only we had stuck the Tang in the freezer! Then it would not only "taste so good" but it would be frozen solid. And then we wouldn't even have to taste it. What a great idea.

* I never knew that they made Tang in Grapefruit Flavor. I remember Grape Tang (shudder), but not Grapefruit. Grape Tang was violently purple and it wouldn't matter if you took it to the North Pole to drink, it was still terrible.

The title is a reference to one of my favorite novels, Margaret Atwood's The Edible Woman (1969) - you can read the bit about "tang of the wilderness" here - it's one of several cheesy phrases used in a beer commercial.

3 comments:

veg-o-matic said...

I would totally drink grapefruit Tang! I guess it wasn't around for very long because I never heard of it before, either.

Tori Lennox said...

The freezer in that Tang ad is kind of scary! LOL!

HollywoodHasMe said...

I've only ever seen Tang in the flavor orange,had no idea there was a grape flavor,and others.

Tang tastes good,just sad it has no nutritional value,but I have been drinking it off/on since the 80's.

Cheap juice when you are low on cash.