Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Amazing Jellied Cherry Sauce

Domain coupons are just as tasty
I don't know about you, but we've had quite a bit of jellied cranberry sauce around here lately - it's something that's always been a part of the holiday meal. We had it at my aunt's house in the 1970s, every year, along with the turkey, the stuffing, the relish tray before the meal and the box of After Eights following the plum pudding and hard sauce. Anyway, the jellied sauce is a key part of our traditional Christmas meal. Not everyone likes it but those of us who do, like it a lot. I wondered when it first appeared on the market, so of course I went looking through one of my favorite sources for pop culture history: advertisements!

The earliest reference I found to jellied cranberry sauce is in a 1942 ad, which is on your left. I really like those little turkeys; and I also like the turkey cookie cutter you could get from Ocean Spray, too.


But did you know that once upon a time there was jellied cherry sauce as well? I never did, not until recently, when I found an ad for Reddi-Maid Jellied Cherry Sauce.

As far as I can tell it was only manufactured and sold in 1960. This two-page ad tells the "Amazing Story" of how the cherry industry was hunting for a new product idea and "after patient years of testing" and of using only the "plump Michigan Montmorency cherry"* the Jellied Sauce was created. Montmorency cherries are a kind of sour cherry that are excellent for pies and jams. They are grown in France (and are named for the Montmorency valley, there) and in Canada too; in the US they are found mainly in Wisconsin and Michigan.

No comments: