Saturday, February 16, 2013

A Blue Cocktail to Match the Pool

Martha Raye looks about like I do when the weekend rolls around (minus the lei, of course): a little bit worn down and needing a fancy retro cocktail. Ideally, in a scenic, tropical place to sit and enjoy it. I imagine that a lovely seaside bit of Hawaii Real Estate for sale would suit my needs perfectly. Martha knows what I'm talking about.

Waikiki Wedding (1937) was best known for the song "Sweet Leilani" - but did you know that another song in the movie, "Blue Hawaii," is actually the inspiration for the cocktail called a Blue Hawaii? Well, it is. Most people think that the drink was named for the 1961 Elvis Presley Blue Hawaii, in which he covers the Bing Crosby song. But this refreshing blue cocktail was created by a famous bartender named Harry Yee in 1957, 4 years before Elvis' movie. He presided over the bar at the Hawaiian Village Hotel on the island of Oahu.

The Hawaiian Village Hotel 
Now, since I'm imagining having a retro cocktail party to celebrate buying some amazing Honolulu Real Estate, I will not only be sharing a few vintage cocktail recipes (at the end of the post) but I'd also like to share the locale of my dream retro cocktail party (below left). If you want to make yourself a Blue Hawaii, you will need some rum, pineapple juice, sweet and sour mix and Curaçao. Curaçao is a liqueur made with laraha citrus peel (it is kind of like an orange) will give the drink its gorgeous blue color. If you substitute cream of coconut for the sweet and sour mix you'll have yourself a drink called a Blue Hawaiian.

I haven't just been looking up blue cocktail recipes, though. I've been looking for a dream venue to serve them in. So I went looking for some  Oahu Real Estate and pretended that I could have one of the gorgeous houses listed there. And on the left is where I wish I was serving Blue Hawaiis and Hula Hulas. At Distinctive Homes Hawaii you can take advantage of a full service, luxury Real Estate firm offering you an interactive MLS search. I do love looking at places with ocean views and relaxing swimming pools, especially in the middle of winter!

Anyway, as promised, here are the recipes...I plan to make these in my dream house, with the vintage cocktail shaker that I also do not have - yet. Not yet. But maybe someday I'll be sipping a retro drink that matches the swimming pool. In the meantime, here are the recipes:

BLUE HAWAII (from Food.com)

This makes one drink so multiply as necessary. Combine all the following in a cocktail shaker or, if you're using crushed ice, mix the lot in a blender: 3/4 ounce light rum, 3/4 ounce vodka, 1/2 ounce blue Curaçao, 3 ounces pineapple juice and an ounce of powdered sweet and sour mix. Pour into a tall glass and add a pineapple slice and a maraschino cherry for garnish.

HULA HULA (from the 1941 edition of The Old Mr. Boston DeLuxe Official Bartender's Guide)

This also makes one cocktail: take 3/4 ounce orange juice, 1 1/2 ounces dry gin, 1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar, and shake well with some cracked ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

The movie posters, the Hawaiian Village Hotel image and the bottle of Curaçao are from Wikimedia Commons.

No comments: