Wednesday, February 13, 2013

So Good You Could Frame It

Want a little romance for breakfast? Well, you aren't going to find it here. Not in this ad from 1941. No sir.

Yes, it would certainly not make my day if my husband called me and his National Biscuit 100% Bran cereal "my two great loves."

At least Bob mentioned her first, not the bran. That's good, I guess.

And here's even more exciting news: National Biscuit's 100% Bran is not only Double Milled, but it is a New Form of Bran that will tackle constipation like nobody's business. According to another ad for this cereal, from 1940 (which I'm saving, because it's pretty funny, too) the double milling is what makes it so, so special. That's what breaks the fiber down into teeny bits so it "is less likely to be irritating."

Unlike Bob, who is not a bit less likely to be irritating.

You can really see how much old Bob loves his cereal. Here he is, hugging the box and murmuring sweet nothings to it like "Such gentle action!" Does his wife know about this? I guess she does, it's not like he's sneaking around behind her back, two-timing her with some floozy of a cereal box. Why, he even brags about it to her. And here he is smiling while holding a picture frame up to his face - because National Biscuit has "A Flavor So Good You Could Frame It." No, I don't know what that means, either. Wait, yes, I do. It means that Insufficient Bulk is the least of Bob's problems, that's what it means.

1 comment:

Kath Lockett said...

Wow.... I don't even think my husband would do that to his utterly favourite tube of Pringles!

"Such Gentle Action" - clearly Mrs Bob was a bit rough with him?